Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Came Back!

I haven't written for the last two days. Monday my brother was visiting from Calgary.

Ain't he just so adorable? He doesn't look like that any longer, he is a grown man in his fifties. I could have written about my brother, some of the things he has done in the past are quite interesting but I don't think that would be a good idea. Have to protect the innocent you know.

Today I just wandered. I took in my bottles and then walked along Powell street to Clark Drive. I took a few pictures of things that looked interesting. Like this place.



What caught my attention was the year it was started. This business is only thirty years younger than the city itself. Interesting.

At the end of World War I there were about fifteen organizations to help veterans. Unfortunately the efforts of these groups were fragmented and not very successful. So in 1925 The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Services League (BESL) began in Winnipeg. At that time the objective was to provide a strong voice for WWI veterans and to advise the government on issues that veterans face. The legion has been instrumental in protecting the rights and ensuring that those who have fought so that we can live the life we do are taken care of.
In 1960 the Queen gave permission for the word 'Royal' to be added to the title and the name has been adjusted to 'The Royal Canadian Legion'. But most people refer to it as 'the Legion'.

The legion has changed with the times and is known for its community involvement as well as the service to veterans. Perhaps the legion is most well known for the Poppy campaign every November. That is when citizens of Canada donate money and where a fake poppy as a remembrance of those who died in war. The monies raised go to help veterans and their families.

Many of us remember learning the poem by Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae,  In Flanders fields the poppies blow, Between the crosses, row on row,. Little did McCrae know in 1915 when he penned In Flanders Fields that his little poem would be recited for decades to come and would ensure that the sacrifices of those who have gone to war would not be forgotten.


This bowling alley was opened in 1947 by Louis Marino and is still a family operated business. They offer 5 pin, 10 pin bowling as well as Black Light (glow) bowling. I like the bowling pin on top. It must look great at night.

For the past weeks I have  been walking around and something is going on. I see this message painted on walls etc.
Now I am not in favor of graffiti.Someone has to pay to paint over it and monies supplied by either a business or the local government can spent on better things. But I wonder if this message is being spread across the city by a lovelorn soul or someone is letting everyone know that they are loved. There are worst things that could be painted on buildings.

One of the best things about walking around,taking photos and learning about Vancouver is the people I meet. Today I met a First Nations artist by the name of Bruce Morrisseau. He allowed me to take photos of his tattoos for a feature I want to on tattoos. I enjoy it when the bearer of these designs tells me a little bit about the history.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment