Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Queen Anne and Edwardian

When I started out today I had a list of places that I intended to visit down around the Main Street area.  I made it to the first place on my list - the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church on 10 Avenue. The Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Parish was established in 1937 and the following year a fund was established to raise money to buiild a proper place of worship. It wasn't an easy task what with World War II intervening and the size of the task but a small group of devoted members perservered and the cathedral was built.

Professor Serhyj Tymoshenko, a famous architect, designed the structure and in 1949 Rev. Stephen Symchych blessed the cross for the main cupula. While I was taking photos I saw a man working on the grounds of the church and watching me. I went over, introduced myself and told him what I was doing. He was so kind and informative.

He informed me of the houses further down the street which had been redone. He had initially been informed of this project back in the 1980s when the man who had purchased the homes and was having them restored told him. (By the information I found on Heritage Plaques belonging to those homes, I would guess that would be a Mr. Davis. The Davis family have been instrumental in preserving parts of the city's history.)

Before I got to the houses though I took a moment to look at the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church, at one time also the home for the Evangilistic Tabernacle. Built in 1909 - 1910 this  Romanesque Revival church was also a performing arts theatre at one time.

The building has been restructured into residential. Which means it can serve a purpose and still be here for people like me to admire, photograph, write on and keep the history alive.

I was still trying to get to the block of houses I was told about whne I found the View Court. A lady I met outside told me she lived here and the building was about 100 years old she thought. It was built 1910 and 1911 and is comprised of 32 suites.

Are you beginning to think that I am never going to make it to these homes I was told about? Well I did and I have the pictures to prove it.

There wasn't any information that I could see pertaining to this house. But it is sort of interesting looking don't you think?

This beauty was built in stages starting in 1893. Then it was an almost square, two story pioneer Victorian style home. In 1900 the man who owned it, labourer John Crawford, sold it to a fireman Richard  H. Macauley who then added a one storey addition to the back. In 1910 Macauley undertook a major renovation and adding to the home. As well he modernized the face into the Edwardian style of the times.

This home, a modest Queen Anne style, was built in 1904. It is very indicative of the residences being constructed in Mount Pleasant during the time period.







This 1894 Queen Anne style home which is set back from the street is one of my favourites that I saw today. It reminds me of a fairy tale house, not the wicked witch's though. I expect to see a kindly lady emerge with a tray of fresh baked cookies and a jug of milk at any time.







This wood frame home was built in 1891 and is the oldest house in the Mount Pleasant area. It was also the first of many that the Davis family began restoring in an effort to rejuvenate the area. From what I saw today I would say that their efforts paid off.








This Edwardian style home was built in 1910 by local builder C. Macdonald. It has been used over the years for various charity functions as well as a Zen Center.

{If nothing else writing about these homes may finally teach me something about architectural styles. Maybe I will even one day be able to identify them on sight.}

Another Queen Anne style home. This one was built in 1894 and it's first owner was grocer Fred Welsh.

I have more photos and information and will hopefully post those another time. Tomorrow I want to get to the sites I was planning on seeing today and if I do I will mix the other photos in with those.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment