Monday, July 25, 2011

Farmer's Market

During the summer Trout Lake hosts a Farmer's Market on the weekend. It runs on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am to 2pm starting May 14 and ending October 22. I stopped by one day and was impressed by the vegies and such I saw there.

These markets are a great way for city dwellers to get fresh produce straight from the farm.

But Farmers' Markets aren't a new idea - they are an old idea that has re-emerged. Before the Industrial age it was quite common for these markets to be held and in some countries the markets are not only quite common but larger.

In these modern times the local markets have been replaced by supermarkets that ship in produce that has been packaged and produced and the natural ripening cycle disrupted by chemicals and such. Many people are now looking at what is in their food and researching how that affects their health.

If you don't want vegies there are other foods available. I'm not vegan but that chocolate cake could change my mind!
Is your mouth watering yet?

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been in a lifelong battle with my weight. And I know that the problem stems from me and my actions. Too many years eating improperly and not exercising enough. However I have been trying to learn more about the connection between good, clean food, exercise and good health. And these places offer foods to consider.

I don't know for sure how everything is produced then sold at these markets - a person has to have faith I guess that everything is done in a healthful way.


And there even places for the carnivore to satisfy their hunger. These animals are raised as naturally as possible without the chemicals and fattening additives that some meat producers use.



All the glorious food! I got there close to closing time so I missed a lot of the displays.

There is more than gastronomically delights at a farmer's market.

Isn't  the work gorgeous?

And what festival would be complete without music?

If you are in Vancouver and are interested in going to a Farmers' Market then visit this page. It has a list of all the markets with times and dates.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

,, ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment