Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Gary Taylor ReVamped




While going home from my meeting with Gary Taylor, I heard some sweet music coming from a neighbourhood park. I wandered over and enjoyed the sounds of the Carlo Rossi Gang.

In March of this year, I wrote a blog entry on Gary Taylor's Show Lounge. When I sent the link to Mr. Taylor, he informed me that the information contained in the entry was false and was kind enough to send me his bio. Therefore, I am writing a new entry to correct the first one.

Gary Taylor is 73 years old but you wouldn't know it to look at him. I met him at his club Falconetti's on the Drive and he possesses an energy and vibrancy of someone much younger. Hey, I know men who are half his age and act a lot older. Must be something to the music that keeps him young.



At the age of 15, Taylor began learning how to play the drums with the legendary and much sought drum teacher, Jim Blackley. (Mr. Blackley's students have gone on to play with the likes of Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Paul McCartney, Sting and Annie Lennox and many others.) 

Gary was a dedicated student and he rose in the professional ranks. At the age of 17, Taylor was playing with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. But that wasn't where he stopped. The young Taylor continued to study with Blackley, becoming the man's protege and at the age of 18, became an associate teacher and Blackley's right hand man. This was the start of a colourful and successful career in the entertainment industry.




In 1973, there was a Vancouver bar named 'Gary Taylor's Show Lounge' that employed showgirls and strippers as waitresses. These ladies would offer a free dance with every drink. Of course, this got the attention of the police who raided the club under the obscenity regulations.

In 1974, Judge Jack McGivern ruled the nudity of the dancers was not obscene - this naturally started the practice of nude dancing girls in bars - but touching was not allowed. Gary Taylor's had a boxing ring where the women performed revealing acrobatic acts after stripping then earned tips. This attracted men from Washington State to visit since their laws in this matter were much more strict.



Friday I will tell you about some highlights of Gary Taylor's career. He has done a lot.

Thank you Mr. Taylor for supplying the bio and allowing me a chance to correct the earlier version.

I hope you find the beauty around you.





2 comments: