Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Banking and Religion

I have walked by this building on Commercial Drive numerous times and I had a feeling it was an older building - many of those on the Drive are - but I couldn't find any information on it. Until I discovered Bob's_2006 photostream on Flickr.

This is called the Beck Block and when it was built in 1912 it was home to the Royal Bank of Canada.

Did you know that on January 9, 1862 the Fraser River froze over from Lulu Island to Hope? Now that was a cold winter!




From a former bank I am now taking you to a gospel hall.

When this was built in 1911 it was the Woodland Gospel Hall. It is an important part of the community and in the 1970's kids used to play in the parking lot. The parking lot was deserted the day I went by.

It was a beautiful walk that day. There are so many older homes in this area that have been well cared for.

These homes aren't as lavish as those in Shaughnessy nor is the area as refined. It is in East Vancouver after all. But I love it and I get such a warm feeling when I walk around here.

If you cross Woodland Drive from the church you would see Clark Park which dates back to 1889 and which I have written on before.


I hope you find the beauty around you.

 , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment