Friday, August 5, 2011

Sogetsu, Bonsai and People

When I entered the Vancouver Buddhist Temple on Jackson during the Powell Street Festival, one of the first things I saw was the incredible work with nature. There were a few examples of the well known Bonsai work.

The art of Bonsai is said to be very relaxing and, as you can see, visually pleasing. It takes patience and creativity to sculpt these miniature shrubs into the shapes we see as a finished product. And since the plants are a living growing thing I guess the work is never really completed.
As beautiful as I think all of this is I know I couldn't do it. Whenever I have to just trim my own houseplants and get rid of the dead pieces I end up losing interest and patience and I cut everything away - leaving the plant to regrow. It does too!


At the other end of the temple was the Sogetsu display of Ikebana flower arrangement. Sogetsu was started by Sofu Teshigahara in 1927.

Everything looks so simple but it isn't really. It takes true artistry to create something so elegant.

Aren't they just so beautiful? These flower arrangements would add a touch of elegance to any decor.

Another great thing about a festival such as this is the people you see.

I had to rush to get a photo of this man. There is a wooden bar going through the top of the kimono on his back. At least I think it is a kimono.


This lady had a gorgeous smile and a delightful laugh.

And this friendly looking gentleman is the best dentist I have ever been to. If he wasn't I wouldn't travel an hour and a half for an appointment plus have been going to him for about fourteen years. I got to meet his wife, son and daughter on Sunday which I really enjoyed.

This sign was outside the temple. Considering I know one phrase in Japanese I didn't go for the profiency test. LOL


I hope everyone has a great weekend. I have more to tell you about the festival and things I saw there but I also have more activities to go to on the weekend.

I hope you find the beauty around you.
,, ,,,,,


No comments:

Post a Comment