Friday, March 2, 2012

Visiting Victoria Drive

Happy Friday! Today I am showing you some photos of places on Victoria Drive. I live in this area and I walk by many of these homes on a regular basis. I knew that some of them were old but could never find any information on them. Thanks to Bob_2006 on Flickr.com I now have some of the information I want.

This is 101-116 Victoria Drive. It is close to Powell Street and I walk past it a lot. I have used photos of artwork around the building in former blog entries.
This row of homes was built in 1910.







I have written on this next home before. It is now a part of the retirement centre next door but when it was built in 1908 it was known as the Hawkins House.
This Queen Anne Revival style home is listed in the Vancouver Heritage Register as an A category historic resource and it was a single family home for many years.


This gorgeous home was built in 1910.

I have been fortunate with my walks since the weather has been pretty good usually. I so much more enjoy strolling and looking for these historic buildings when the sun is shining and I don't have to contend with a downpour of rain.

And it doesn't hurt that these buildings are close to where I live so it doesn't take me long to get the photos.

I don't have a lot of information on these homes besides the years they were built. I hope you enjoyed this short journey anyway.

I hope you find the beauty around you.


, , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Karen,

    I am so enjoying the beauty of your city through your eyes...I hope I'll get to see it in person one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI
    1872 Parker Street, the landmark heritage mansion at the corner of Parker and Victoria, is under threat from the developer who bought it a couple of years ago. Thanks to Grandview Woodland Area Council representatives, the house was to be restored and turned into condo units with in-fill housing behind, as part of a Heritage Revitalization Agreement launched some months back. However, the developer "did not receive financing to complete the project" according to the heritage planners at the City.

    care to save it? write council, I just did! my first ever letter of the kind. email MayorandCouncil@vancouver.ca and Project Coordinator Vaughan.Kopy@vancouver.ca by September 23rd

    ReplyDelete