Monday, March 28, 2011

Blueboods

This is the Abbott House located at 720 Jervis Street. It was built for Henry B. Abbot, the first superintendent of the Pacific Division of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Abbot was a prominent figure in the development of Vancouver.


In 1900, when this home was built, this was the heart of Vancouver's first prestigious neighbourhood,  nicknamed Bluebood Alley.

The Abbott House was originally clad in wood lap siding and cedar shingles. The design features a curved bay facing Georgia Street, overhanging eaves and a central gable which features a remarkable art glass window.

Below the window extends a large porch with round columns and a wood railing. The home was restored and a period garden was recreated in 1997 as part of the adjacent large scale development.


This home is at 1050 Nicola. It was built around 1909 and is a prime example of the Edwardian style of homes that were built in Vancouver around that time.

Some of the notable features of this home are the decorative scalloped shingles in the upper portion of the front gable, fluted porch columns, front gable roof along with various forms of fenestration (retaining their original wood frames and with stained glass elements) including a two-storey bay window, and a bay window off the front porch, and dormer window.




Today I walked for along the Seawall for a little while. I happened upon this treasure during my walk.
 
The inscription inside is great.


(That should say rhytmn of the tides)


I have to admit that today was an interesting day. I took some photos of some beautiful heritage homes but unfortunately the photo of the information plaque was too blurry to read so I will have to go back and get another photo.
 
But as I was leaving Pacific Street, where the homes were, I decided to head towards Beach Avenue because something caught my attention.
 
 
Isn't it interesting? And aren't you glad I took a detour?
 
I hope you find the beauty around you.
 

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment